Quarantine of a lifetime?


Self-isolation is the new norm. We are keeping a 'safe' distance from more than 3 months now. The thought of being isolated is usually very daunting but as we are in quarantine for such a long period, a sense of patience has predominated in most of the people. Everybody is putting in their 100% effort. This particular period reminded me of a very bittersweet time of my life. 
I have been in a wheelchair for almost 10 years and we know there is no facilitation of rehabilitation in Pakistan. I was discharged from the hospital within a few weeks of my surgery. To be clear, I had spinal decompression surgery. I had a giant cell tumor on the C7-T1 level on my spinal cord. I will not be going to details but I was pretty stiff when I left the hospital. It was difficult for my family to actually seat me in the car. I was sent home without any instructions as to how to manage neither myself nor my parents were an expert in managing a paralyzed patient. However, the good thing about the bad time is that it passes. The story of how I managed myself and how my family supported me is entirely different. I want to emphasize the fact that being disabled (in some cases) or bedridden is the quarantine of a lifetime. Not literally but metaphorically. I remember due to some issues, I had to shift on the first floor of my home and it was very difficult, nearly impossible for me to go somewhere. Whenever my family had to go somewhere, they had to leave someone with me. I used to feel guilty-conscious. Slowly, I adjusted to my condition and would ask them to go out without actually caring for me being alone at home.
They would go out with their friends and I would stay back waiting. I would feel very bad at times. An undeniable feeling of fumbling on a regular social life was very bad. On a particular occasion, I remember it was my sister's birthday and everyone partook in planning a surprise for her which included her friends. We all decorated the room and got a customized cake for her. It was a very appealing activity for me and later after the cake cutting, all her friends and both my sisters went out for lunch. They would always try to make me feel good; they'd ask if I was okay with them going out. When they left, that day, for the very first time, I felt awful. The hollowness in my stomach. I felt very timid and on the verge of breaking down in tears. I didn't speak to anyone or ate anything. Even when it was necessary to go out, for example for a doctor's appointment, it was very finicky to carry me downstairs and then getting me into the car. All in all, even I started avoiding all the hustle. It was the unwanted self-distancing that I had to endure because of the lack of rehabilitative facilities. I lived in quarantine for almost 4-5 years. Isolation from the outside world. My world was confined to my house. I looked at the world through the eyes of my friends and family. It impacted my personality greatly both in positive and negative ways. Although I was exposed to the outside world later on in life, however, that period developed my character in a way that is very intricate to explain in words.


One thing that I would like to highlight here is that Corona has made us all confined. Now the things are getting remote and basically, online. The disabled persons have been facing the issue of physical confinement for so long, why the government(s) or related officials never thought of facilitating them the way now 'normal' people are being facilitated? For example, education. The lectures are now being conducted online, via videos so my question is why couldn't this be implied to the physically confined persons with disabilities, even for the bedridden students. Many people despite being incredibly vigilant and talented have been ignored and deprived due to this matter. I wonder, after Corona, whether the government(s) will start considering the sheer value the disabled community brings to the country and society or not.

Comments

  1. This is such, such an emotional read. I was touched by every word of it. I can´t even imagine the pain that you must´ve had to go through. Good on you, my girl. More power to you!

    The overall point though too is very valid. Bedridden, sick and disabled people have for ages been going through a quarantine life. It´s time that their obstacles are recognised and something is done about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful piece of writing. Only the one who suffered through such type of circumstances for a long time can understand this fully.

    This temporary COVID quarantine has taught everyone of us a special lesson. Hopefully we all become better version of us after this period gets over!

    Many blessings for you.

    Best Regards,
    Iqra Batool

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th April, 2011

Moving on!

Cricket World Cup, 2019 and Pakistan.