The significance of water intake in summers.

IMAGE COURTESY FETHIYE TIMES.
With the rise in temperature, the intake water becomes extremely crucial. The outdoor summer activities can drain the body's energy so it becomes extremely important to increase the water intake as the body loses more water. It causes the body to dehydrate. The major symptoms of dehydration include darker in colour and reduced urine, dry skin, tiredness and confusion & lightheadedness.
Mild dehydration can cause uneasiness but severe dehydration must be addressed properly as it can lead to some major complications. It can take a toll on your mood and energy overall. Here are a few clues to identify dehydration:
1. Bad breath
2. Fever
3. A severe headache
The elderly children are at a higher risk to be dehydrated as their bodies are more sensitive towards the change in temperature. Upon the detection of any symptoms of dehydration, it is extremely advisable to take the doctor's advice as soon as possible, however, prevention is better than cure. The recommended intake of water for women is  2.7 litres of water  (or about 12 cups) and for the men, it is 3.7 litres a day (or about 15 cups). It is necessary to keep your body hydrated with getting the fluids, especially in the summer.
Keep a water bottle with you all the time so that you can make sure to keep sipping on the water throughout the day, moreover, if you don't like clean water then you can add any type of fruit juices. Intake of fluids is essential so you can opt to try different types of iced teas as well. Munch on fresh fruits and vegetables instead of dry snacks to boost up the water content in your body.
The best way to know that whether your body is dehydrated or what is checking the colour of your urine, it should consistently be colourless or light yellow.  Use two fingers to pinch up some skin on the back of your hand, then let the skin go. It should spring back to its normal position in less than a couple of seconds. If the skin returns to normal slowly then you might be dehydrated. In order to avoid any malfunctioning in the body, you must be aware and alert about such indications in your body.
Stay hydrated!

Comments

  1. This is an excellent piece of advice and is one that a lot of us can benefit from. Although the level of heat of summer in Pakistan is unmatchable, but even over here in Germany one has to be careful of dehydration. We take it as a trivial matter, but it can have an effect beyond our guess.

    I must relate something here from my own life. For the first 20 of my life I´d hardly consume more than a glass of water a day. Not knowing how it was ultimately an effect of dehydration, I´d experience severe, severe headache all the time. Although not related to it directly, but I ended up suffering from hiatal hernia in the spring of 2010. I was operated on my thorax and stayed admitted in the hospital for around three months. There, I´d continuously complain about headache. The nurses took note of my fluid intake and, before going too medical about it, suggested, in fact very strictly advised me to increase my fluid intake - stressing that it´ll also boost my recovery from my illness. Being bed-ridden and having not much to do, it became kind of a game for me as I took the challenge. My siblings of course helped me in the calculation as we began with 10 glasses of a two litre glass. Gradually I got literally addicted to this game and increased my water intake even further and it is now either three litres a day or maybe touch below it.

    Eight years on, this game has played an integral myself being as healthy as I´m right now. I also recover sooner from illnesses, especially colds, than I used to back then; oh´ and headaches have disappeared! Water is one of the most mentioned blessings of Allah in the Qur´an, and indeed I bear witness to just how useful it is. It´s around 10:30 AM over here and I´ve already pulled off a litre - more to come later in the day of course! And no, as opposed to others who also consumes a lot of juices and other drinks, I consume pure water. I´ve intolerance from a lot of other drinks, therefore water is my best option to stick to!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th April, 2011

Moving on!

Cricket World Cup, 2019 and Pakistan.