Believe you can and you're halfway there.

If you can move your feet and walk on your own then you should be very thankful for each moment in your life. We don't realize the importance of such small blessings. When something is taken away from you, it is exactly the time when you realize the worth of that thing. Operating your legs or walking may seem very casual things that you do in routine but trust me these things are worth being thankful for each day.
Everyone has a story to tell; my story revolves around the turn of events that turned me into a fighter. I found happiness in the most difficult time of my life with the divine intervention of The Almighty.  I could have been a normal carefree teenager but God had other plans for me.
I was 16 years old when a complex diagnosis declared that I had tuberculosis of the bone. The doctor suggested some. Without any delay, I began the course. Naturally, the term tuberculosis scared my family and so without taking a second opinion, we opted to start the medicine. It would have been hardly a week that I started feeling weakness in my lower limb. I still remember the day when I fell while walking and I laughed at it. I never thought that these were the signs of something bigger and scarier. Anyhow the weakness only increased with the time but I was in denial that I was getting better with every passing day. One night as I slept, despite the pain I had in my arm and back, never in my wildest thoughts, I had ever imagined that I would not be able to get up on my own the next morning. IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED! I had no sensation in my lower limb the next morning. I was in a state of panic and so was my family. We rushed to the concerned doctor, this was the first day when I experienced immobility. Honestly, that was not a pleasant feeling but I had hope that this was just a phase and it will pass quickly. The doctor sent us for some further tests before he could operate my spine to find out what went wrong. That was a hard day and the one that I still remember clearly. The tests were available in another hospital so we had to go there taking all the frustration of shifting me into the car and then in a wheelchair. Despite the fact that the tests were supposed to be on the emergency basis, I had to wait for about 2 hours to get my test done. My heart was sinking with each minute passing by, I was thinking what was about to happen. I was feeling sharp aches in my Spine and arms. I did not know at all what was happening to my body but it was something very new and unpleasant.
After the tests, I was being called by my doctor and was admitted on the emergency basis in the hospital. Everything was happening so fast that I could not even react to the newly occurred changes in my body. The report suggested that my spinal cord was under pressure due to a tumour that had developed on the first vertebra in the thoracic region. It was exerting pressure on the whole spine which was causing lack of sensation and Movement in my lower limb. The biopsy was carried out in which a part of the vertebra was also removed due to being highly affected by a tumour. After the biopsy, I was left with an incomplete vertebra which was a critical and dangerous situation to be in and required urgent treatment. The surgeon was sure that a tumour was malignant and sent the samples to all the big and known labs of the city.
I was diagnosed with a benign giant cell tumour. This time was the hardest for my family, I could see it on their faces they were under a lot of pressure and emotional stress. They never told me anything but I could sense it. God is merciful and the tumour was not malignant. Although the surgeon still could not believe that what he saw was so horrendous but not malignant. Now that the pressure of a malignant tumour passed, we had to take a decision about a tumour and incomplete vertebra. A very renowned neurosurgeon took up my case and a surgery was carried out in a government hospital. During the surgery, most of a tumour was removed but some of it could not be removed due to its crucial location. In order to remove that part of a tumour, another incision (similar to an open heart surgery) was required and it was a dangerous procedure. The surgeon decided to leave it untouched. My vertebra was caged with a metallic wire so that the neck became stable. I was kept in the ICU for a week. I still remember the immense pain I had experience after the surgery during the time I spent in the ICU.
This story is not intended to make people sad but instead making them realize that life gives us chances and we need to avail them before we run out of them. I am a paraplegic and this disability did not stop me! We need legs to walk but who needs to walk when you can fly? This ailment brought out the best of me and now I feel very liberated to narrate my story to others. Everything that brings distress is an opportunity to find yourself through fighting the problems, to look for the positives in all the negatives, to see beyond the visible problem and find answers. I began my life again. It took time but I did it with the help of my friends, family and of course The Almighty Allah. The key to fight the problems of your life is to believe and hope. Believe in the divine help and hope to do better every day. Give your hundred percent and put all your trust in the Almighty that he will guide you through every problem.

Comments

  1. I don't know, What to say but I must say you are great person and Allah Almighty will really help you out of this.
    InShaAllah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th April, 2011

Moving on!

Cricket World Cup, 2019 and Pakistan.