The spectacular world beneath the cover of a book

 Reading is a fruitful habit that helps you in many pursuits of life. It is the most preferable and productive activity which helped me a lot in many ways. I could have never realized my passion for stories if it wasn't for The Wizard of Oz; The first book that I ever read. It was a long journey but somehow that book remains special. I read it when I was around eleven years old. It was my routine to write a diary before going to sleep so, I would write the important events of the day and then, immerse myself in the fictional world of the book. Honestly, I don't even remember the story clearly, but I do remember enjoying it thoroughly. It changed my perspective and instilled the passion to write.


The truth is I haven't read many books, but when I turned fourteen, one of my cousins gifted me 'The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho'. When I read that book, I felt something incredible. The books were not just the pages anymore, I sensed life in them. There was an immensely spectacular world beneath the surface of the cover, and I enjoyed being there. Reading a story became escaping to another world with stunning characters, and incredible wisdom. There was no turning back after I had discovered the beauty of books and reading. I developed an urge to read more and more. At that time, I had a remarkable English teacher who encouraged reading too. I cannot thank Sir Rufus enough for being such a kind soul and allowing me to make mistakes. The mistakes only stirred the urge to improve, and I think that is the only forward.

In the upcoming years, I read all of Paulo Coelho's books. Many people don't regard his work, but for me, he was a savior. When I got bedridden, I read one of his books that inspired me greatly. It was 'The Pilgrimage' and this book changed my life. I used to read it every night before going to sleep and sense myself being with him on extraordinary adventures. There was a lot to learn and experience. Frankly, I learned about the immensity of the soul through these experiences. You can't simply picture places that you haven't been to before, and that too so vividly. I did, and it was life-changing. Books have that impact on me. They are the gateways to great places and fantasies. Even though I was lying in the bed, unable to even move an inch by myself, but I went on that pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela with him. 


If you want to give your child the best gift in the world, give him or her the gift of imagination. Introduce them to the world of books, and the art of reading. Once we get on this journey, the books will take care of the rest. With the progression of technology, we're losing the great experience of reading. The smell of the pages, the stiffness of the spine, and the pleasure of turning the pages of a new book are irreplaceable. Reading books on your phones will never be the equivalent of possessing a real book. Let's revive the art of reading and do this upcoming generation a favor.

Comments

  1. I´ve a nice, my cousin´s daughter, and I was amazed to see her craze with books. She told me that her craze for books began right from a very early age. Now, bearing this hobby of hers in mind, it is amazing the amount of knowledge that she holds on various topics. Being passionate about reading often leads to wanting to broaden one´s knowledge by reading informative articles etc. too, and I saw this in her. So reading is an ability that we humans should take full advantage of, no doubt.

    Regards,
    Rawal Afzal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th April, 2011

Moving on!

Cricket World Cup, 2019 and Pakistan.