I met the Governor of Punjab!



Every picture narrates a story and this picture is one of the most special pictures of my life. It is clicked in front of the Governor's house, Lahore. I went to meet the Governor and convey some of my suggestions regarding rehabilitation and accessible education for the PWD's. This meeting did not happen magically nor I had a connection with any politician. One of my good uncles read my blogs and shared it with the human rights advisor for the Governor. She organized the meeting and was very supportive throughout the procedure. It was one of those events when I felt empowered. In the room that had the Governor of Punjab, his team, and the Human Rights advisor, I felt that I found my voice. Although I was very nervous about the meeting, after all, it was an important personality that I was going to meet and who might have an influence in bringing the change that I am working towards. When I entered that room and I started talking, I felt that much more confident than ever. Even I was surprised to listen to myself in the videos later on because I remember how I felt the night before meeting the Governor. That feeling was very much comparable to the feeling of nervousness before an examination. I kept talking in my head, rehearsing what I would say to the Governor, how I would behave in front of him but trust me, none of the scenarios that I had in my head occurred.

It's weird. Sometimes when you ask God for strength, He gives you the power to find that strength within without any external help. The truth is we all have that strength, that voice, but we have to seek, explore deeper to find it and execute it in our lives.



I arrived at the Governor's house at around 5:20 pm. My appointment was set at 5.45 pm and I went before the time to be on the safe side. When I reached there, I was astonished to see the beauty of the Governor's house. It's was huge and beautiful. The greenery, the long track surrounded by trees and lawns that ceases in the face of the Governor's house. The Governor's house is a huge white building with a vintage look and architecture. I was told that the Governor's house was constructed over 200 years ago and Queen Elizabeth has also stayed in the building for a while. Although there was a little obstacle that bothered me, the building was not accessible. There were nearly four stairs at the entrance of the building and they had to carry me inside. However, it is worth mentioning that they opened up a special room for me to meet the Governor. I was told that there were many people in the queue to meet the Governor so it might take a while. I was offered tea. When the worker brought tea in the room, to everyone's surprise, the Governor arrived as well. He had a team consisting of around four men. 

In the meeting, the Governor appreciated my efforts to bring such issues to light and promised to keep the suggestions in mind during the policymaking. I spoke for on and off 20 minutes. I don't remember how I gained that much determination to present my points in front of an influential figure. I was able to convey the idea of online education and freelancing for the PWD's and their productivity. The Governor seemed very impressed with my ideas and I am very hopeful that work would be done for the disabled community of Pakistan.

The defining moment of my life

Ever since I met with the Governor, I have felt responsibility on my shoulders to carry on the mission that I have embarked on. I have felt that this event changed the way I look at my social activism. I feel I have to give back and be much more enthusiastic about my cause. It has given me confidence and direction to bring change with my work and voice. I'm just looking to work for the disabled community of Pakistan and be a beacon of change. I started an awareness program on my Facebook and Instagram page. This month, September is celebrated across the globe as the Global spinal cord injury awareness month and I couldn't get a better opportunity to aware people of the predicaments associated with a spinal cord injury. I hope to continue striving.

Comments

  1. Really impressed by such an amazing personality .Disable doesn't mean that you cannot do anything. The word itself contain able. Now i realized that how one man efforts can change the society keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm mightily pleased for you my friend that Allah is rewarding your hardwork & determination with success such as this. I sincerely hope that the Governor goes convert his words into action. You deserve it for the hardwork that you've been putting into this.

    You've become a voice of the underprivileged people of our country. May Allah bless you; Aameen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I saw the pictures the other day as well. Wonderful ones. :)

    Regards,
    Rawal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th April, 2011

Moving on!

Cricket World Cup, 2019 and Pakistan.