Violence against women, Dua Mangi and Rape apologists: A dooming society?

I have always been patriotic and very vocal about my opinions. As much as I love this homeland, I am deeply concerned and affected by the recent turn of events and their aftermath. I am not the person who judges people for their opinions and I have repeatedly talked about the difference in opinion being alright but recently, some people wrote comments on social media that moved me or should I put it this way, they shook me. I have never lost faith in my country. Even the thought of leaving this country used to haunt me but the first time in my life, the words that my fellow countrymen wrote broke my heart and I felt disappointed to be a part of such a society.


People were spewing venom, literally. There is no discrimination in being compassionate towards people who are suffering, you just need to be human but unfortunately, the latest case of Dua Mangi made it very clear that people from our country have almost lost humanity, let alone being sympathetic. When such cases against women arise, each time society fails even more miserably but this time a new level of low has been established.

Rape is the most terrible crime and our society is moving towards becoming a very rape apologist one which is alarming. Violation against women is taken lightly and even the victim is bashed. What was she wearing? What was she doing? She must have done something? Why we cannot understand the fact that blaming the victim will weaken the core values of our society? Women will keep suffering in the hands of beasts until our society crumbles. What then? Little girls are being raped by their relatives. Children are being raped. Animals are being raped. Who is held responsible for this downfall? The downfall of humanity, values, and morals.





The most shocking thing is that nobody is speaking up against the people side with the rapists openly on social media. The first response is always against the women, why? Is it so difficult to accept that a man has raped, violated, harassed, hit a woman? I have seen people openly supporting, congratulating and welcoming the idea of Dua Mangi's kidnapping. What mentality lies behind these comments? It's beyond me. Is it suppressed aggression against women? A sense of superiority and power over the opposite gender? Or just sickness? Whatever it is, it is malignant, cancer that is slowly but surely eating up the roots of our society. It is only a matter of time, if not handled properly, we will be doomed as a society and nation.
Like other women raising voice for brutalities against women, I might also be labeled as a feminist. I am not and I don't need to side with the victim and suppressed. I need to be human. Social media has turned into a garbage can with so many negative comments and filthy slurs. The saddest part is that I have started to lose hope in the past few days. Is there any hope for our country when we have started to rot as a society?

Comments

  1. Our society is failing miserably on this particular issue, collectively of course. Although it doesn´t reflect well on our country, but I think social media is "helpful" (if I may use this word here) in the sense that people´s true mentality is reflected through it and stands exposed. I´ve seen people write things on social media which they otherwise wouldn´t utter in real life out of respect or the fear of being judged. The downside of that is that this problem perhaps would never have come out in open. Now that such a mentality is on display, it being criticised by others on social media or even in TV shows, such as 'Geo Pakistan' on Geo News, means that this will make people realise the error in their stance on such issues.

    A problem can never be sorted out unless it is mentioned or discussed openly. I just hope that the people who wrote all that about Dua Mangi and chose to focus on what she was or was not wearing, will have a re-think on this after the criticism that they´re receiving from all ends. Also, here´s praying for Dua´s safe return to home very soon. May Allah protect her and may He bring her back soon; Aameen.

    Well done on writing a very bold article on an issue which our society needs to address.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th April, 2011

Moving on!

Cricket World Cup, 2019 and Pakistan.