Moving on!

The transition from an impeccably healthy individual to being in a wheelchair is very hard. It wasn't easy for me either but it gets harder when you don't get any backing from your friends, family and the society. I was lucky because I got support from my incredible family as they pulled me out from a phase of disparity into being grateful for what I have despite the agony I had to undergo. Everything changed but the only thing that didn't change was my hope and believe that everything will be alright.
Life can be pretty hard at times but the only way we can get over this severity is by believing in ourselves and The Almighty. When you cannot control a situation it is best to submit it to the most superlative authority: God! Any set of circumstances that tests your patience is sort of a trial from the Almighty to see how we deal with the muddle and still be grateful to Him for all his blessings. I know all of this seems to be very dramatic but it is true. Our plans are always for a limited time allotment but He plans for a longer run. He knows what is the best for us and we must believe in His plans. It is hard to do but we must try to carry on and help Him implement His plan in our lives.
I was in a new situation where I had to function without being able to stand on my own. I am not a saint, I was also downhearted. It took time to adjust myself to this new condition. Initially I was in a denial of my situation but later on, I had no other option other than accepting it and moving on with my life. I was bedridden for almost a year. Lying straight in my bed I used to think and analyze most of the time. I gained weight because of the steroids and immobility. There was a time when I did not want to look into the mirror because what I saw in there was not my reflection. This was my breaking point but it led to my resurgence.
After a couple of years, I went out of my home for the first time. It was a trip to my village and it changed my perspective about going out. This trip gave me energy. For the first time, I moved my wheelchair myself. It gave me self-determination and a sense of procurement. In the same year, my sister planned my birthday in tree lounge cafe. Initially, I was very hesitant as I had never been to a cafe or restaurant from the time I became wheelchair bound. My sisters contacted them and informed about my condition. The owner himself was very supportive and assured that I would be accommodated full heartedly. The cafe was situated on the first floor. The staff carried me up there! Despite my nervousness, everything was so well managed and cordial. I had a great time out there. I was overwhelmed and my concernment was alleviated to some extent due to the hospitality from the staff and the owner himself. I am mentioning them because they could have easily denied taking all the effort (carrying me to the cafe) like most of the eateries did afterward but they made their services accessible to all including the people with disabilities.
I started going out but there were limited places for me to go as most of the places were not wheelchair accessible. Here's when I realized that the state is equally responsible for the prosperity or seizing up of the differently abled people. Even if a differently abled person wants to progress in this society, they're not given an appropriate environment in which they can grow and achieve success. In America, Britain or any other progressive state, all public places must be wheelchair accessible and this is how they practice equality in their societies. Any dissentious fad is almost immediately emulated in Pakistan but we tend to avoid the positive aspects practiced by the forward-looking and liberal states. Have you ever seen a ramp installed in public places for the differently abled people in Pakistan? The answer is NO. Most of the places or inaccessible for the disabled which also includes the banks and government institutes.
Another obnoxious thing that I noticed was the reaction of the public to seeing a person in a wheelchair. It was very unearthly to see bizarre stares from people when I went out to dine or shop. It is almost a taboo to go out in a wheelchair to have some festivity. People look at you like you're doing something uncanny. Once someone told me that: The first day you go out in your wheelchair, 20 people will stare you whatsoever, the next day it will reduce to 15 people and the third day you will be looking at other people instead of them looking at you. It was true and upon its implementation, I found comfort and confidence. People are going to judge you no matter what so it's better to not bother rather than being dispirited. Then came the appalling questions like " what happened to you?", " can you get up on your own?", "Oh! disability and such a young age!". I used to disquiet about such comments but after some time, I stopped distressing myself over answering. The thing that I realized was that they are going to keep asking in spite of being answered time and again. When they asked questions I used to smile and that's it! Sometimes saying nothing is the best answer. Don't let anyone's words take away your happiness because it's not worth it.
There are many aspects of the society that needs to be fixed but don't let that obstruct your flight because you are born to fly! As they say, sky is the limit. There is no other limitation that should make you feel confined. Have full faith in your capabilities, pray to the most superior power and hope for a better tomorrow.The unpredictability of life is very astonishing. We don't have control over the very next minute of our life let alone planning for a long span. Take life day by day because long-term planning is not our concern. There is a much greater authority responsible to plan the best for us. Trust His plans because he plans the best.

Comments

  1. This a truly wonderful read! I so loved every bit of it because this covers the phase immediately after your illness. Loved in particular the bit about the cafe and also the way you´ve documented the reactions of the public. Such comments can be so uncomfortable to deal with, as can of course be the stares on the streets by strangers.

    "Our plans are always for a limited time allotment but He plans for a longer run. He knows what is the best for us and we must believe in His plans", what a quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JazakAllah thank you so much! Your words of appreciation give me the confidence to continue writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a good read. Wonderfully written! I'm glad to know you're doing good. More power to you girl and I hope to see more from you in future .Sending love and positive vibes your way.
    Farheen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so very much dear! I hope to keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zahra well written , express yourself and enjoy your life to the fullest ;

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th April, 2011

Cricket World Cup, 2019 and Pakistan.