Education for all?

One of the most initial indications of my ailment was a weakness in my right arm and hand. In a span of a few weeks, I lost my hand grip which meant that I could not hold a pen and hence I had to give up my studies to go for treatment. I still remember the day when I went into the classroom and I could not sit due to tremendous pain in my back. My teacher was getting so enraged and ultimately, she asked me to leave the class and go home to take some rest. Sadly this was the day when I went to my school for the last time as a student.
I was an O level student and was supposed to appear for my final exams in 2 months when this ailment seized me. I was very enthusiastic about my studies. My preparation was in full-fledged but right before my exams, I had to give up my studies because I could not even hold a pen let alone appearing in my exams. Obviously, as a teenager, this was a very heartbreaking circumstance to accept that all the effort and hard work was going in vain. With every passing day, my ailment was developing and dominating my everyday activities. I had no time to cry over my loss of time that I had put in for my o level exams. Anyhow in less than a month, I had to go for a surgery that left me with my disability and hence I was in a totally new scenario to deal with. All my friends appeared for the exams except me and honestly, that was the time when I felt like a loser. Someone who lost the race without even participating in it.
As I have mentioned in my previous blogs that I was bedridden for a year so I could not even think about giving exams. My parents and friends used to buck me up by saying that I can give exams later when I feel healthier but in my heart, I used to feel very demotivated and disheartened. In your teenage, you are always full of spirit and any sort of barrier always results in hostility but I did not have that option either. There was nothing or no one to be angry with because I could not blame anyone for what was happening to me.
After a couple of years when I started coming back to life I still had weakness in my right hand and I could not hold a pen. People used to suggest me to restart my studies but I could not explain to them that due to my own physical constraints restarting my studies was complicated. I don't blame people to encourage me to start my studies again but they did not know what my shortcomings were and so I regarded their feelings. We opted for many alternative therapies but anything did not really seem to have worked on me until very recently I commenced a chiropractic/reflexology treatment. With the help of this new treatment, I developed some hand grip but it was not the natural grip that most of the people exercise but instead, I started to hold my pen between my middle and ring finger. I thanked God that somehow I became independent to write at least. With continuous effort, I was able to start writing with a new grip and hence was able to give my exams. The British Council was very cooperative and I was comfortable in giving my exams. Without the support of my parents, I would have never been able to appear in my exams. I did not take any tuition or extra help except for a website that was made specially to help students who do not have the means to afford expensive tuition.
A very disappointing issue at this point in time was that there is no availability of wheelchair accessible schools and colleges in Pakistan. In most of the educational institutes of Pakistan, there is no facilitation of accessibility for the people with disabilities. It's a lot of bragging about quota being specified for the disabled people in the higher education and the Central Superior Services (CSS) but in order to reach higher educational platforms, an individual has to first qualify school and college. There is no emphasis on making schools and colleges accessible for the people with disabilities. Most of the competent students remain deprived of their basic right: education. On the grass root level, there is no specific development made into making Pakistan a more accessible place for the people with disabilities. Basic facilities regarding education and employment are not addressed. We see people talking about making disable involved in the society but it is only possible when substantial measures are taken by the state to encourage the education and independence of the people with disabilities.
As I write this most of my friends are getting graduated from their Universities and on the other hand, I would be finishing my A levels this year. Even my younger sisters are way ahead of me in their respective educational paths. Initially, I used to feel very demotivated about being behind in the 'race' but later on, I realized that everyone will have their own tales and struggles to go through and if one door is closed on me then several would be uncovered as well. There are times when we feel like sore failures but we don't know that God is plotting a greater triumph for us. Every path is not for everyone! Every individual will have different struggles to overcome in order to achieve something glorious. God tests everyone and it can be of any sort so we must be ready for any type of trial and only when we succeed at such trials we'll be blessed with the best. He knows what is the best for us and he decides the suitable time to answer our prayers. We always rush but our minds are confined so we don't know what we are asking for but he has the best plan for us. There is no underachiever! We all have our own journey and purpose of life. This purpose is allotted by the almighty. Everyone is here for a reason and life is all about looking for that reason. Achievement is when we accomplish the duty assigned to us by the Almighty and only then we will find the peace of heart.

Comments

  1. I will be with you wherever you need me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your kind words and guidance!!

      Delete
  2. More power to you and good luck with your studies!
    Also, this is something to think about... Facilities for disable people should be normalized in institutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much.
      Yes! We need to make education accessible to all in order to make everyone productive for the society.

      Delete
  3. Another wonderful write-up and one that, alongside sharing your further experience relatec to your illness, also raises a very valid point: is education really for all, that is, are all given all equal opportunity?

    ".... It's a lot of bragging about quota being specified for the disabled people in the higher education and the Central Superior Services (CSS) but in order to reach higher educational platforms, an individual has to first qualify school and college. There is no emphasis on making schools and colleges accessible for the people with disabilities.... "

    Very valid point. It´s a bit like installing an elevator in a building from the second floor - making it equally useless for people who can´t climb stairs as a building without an elevator. I hope through you and in general more and more people join in to raise their voice for issues such as this.

    And just how inspirational is the bit about staying patient and taking the time to reach your goals, for it is indeed so that Allah has carved a different path for every individual. The path He has carved for you may indeed be full of hardships and may require immense patience, but this will only result in yourself valuing your achievements more than others - others whose road to the destination was easier will never be able to value it as much as you´d, my girl. So in every way has Allah chosen you above many of us to test you, to declare you a winner in every ordeal, Insha´Allah, so that not hundreds but thousands can draw inspiration from you.

    The bit about your thumb is kind of an eye-opener and kind of a peek into the life of such a person. Although they´ll possess much mercy, love and support for you, but people will never be able to understand your obstacles as much as for example your family will.

    ".... I did not take any tuition or extra help except for a website that was made specially to help students who do not have the means to afford expensive tuition.... "

    This is the special ability that Allah has in return blessed you with, which being to be able manage a lot, as opposed to something, out of nothing. This is the result of the Will Power bestowed upon you by Allah. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your motivating words. I will try to highlight more issues that the differently able people are facing in our country and hopefully my words bring some better changes in the society.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th April, 2011

Moving on!

Cricket World Cup, 2019 and Pakistan.