Who says crying is a sign of weakness?



Once I was listening to a motivational speech by an influential person, and she said when a person does not cry while narrating their ordeal, and struggles, they have truly overcome it. While listening to the speech, something did not sit right with me. I don't agree with the idea of labeling crying as a sign of weakness. On the contrary, I feel expressing pain is very important to maintain a healthy emotional process. One cannot completely stop feeling pain so there is no point in deliberately refraining from it just to pose "strong" in front of the world. The motivational speaker missed an important point; crying is the ventilation of the soul. I just want to ask one question, how can someone stop crying about a pain that once ached their entire existence? With time, the nature of expression might change, but the pain exists.

"Remember? The first thing we did after opening our eyes to this world was to cry!"

I once read a book where the author associated tears with the bleeding of the soul. It is such a beautiful concept. When we cry, the wounds on our souls bleed, and get over the impact of hurt. I have always found that crying symbolizes strength, but it depends on when and where you cry. Not everyone deserves to witness the purest form of your emotional expression. And, not everyone will oblige it as it should be done. You need to understand that crying is a sacred outlet for your pain. Even though it does not necessarily reduce it, it does provide ventilation. 

Emotional ventilation is a state in which you express all emotions wholly. It is not wrong to cry out if you are feeling sad, hurt, or disappointed. If you bottle up those emotions, it would lead to a sense of suffocation. Emotional suffocation leads to psychological pressures, and ultimately, many other issues. Sometimes all we need is a good crying session to get over something that pinches us.

In my own experience, I feel crying out has always helped me. Whenever I am feeling low, out of control, or restless, I cry, especially in prayers. Even though I feel it is not wrong to cry in front of other people, I have realized that the most of crying can only be achieved when you do it in front of the Almighty. The rest of the people, however close or intimate they are, will not care as much as Him. Your tears actually get recognized in front of Him and trust me, the pain reduces too. My heart always feels lighter when I cry in my prayers. It's like a huge burden gets lifted from my chest. 

Whenever I tell my story, I still feel tears in my eyes. As the years passed, I learned to hide them, but in solitude, I cry. I find a dark corner and a proper time to attain emotional ventilation. For me, nights are the best time. It can be different for everyone. You may find peace by sharing your tears with someone too. Whether it be siblings, parents, lovers, or spouses, get emotional ventilation. Vent it out. Don't hold back because the long-term burden is not worth it. Everyone needs to shed a few tears once in a while. It's a humane act. Stop suppressing it under the shadow of unreal societal definitions of accurate behaviors. 

Comments

  1. Thank You wholeheartedly. That was much needed! Again beautifully jotted. Keep it coming. Please. JazakAllah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Amalesh from India...have connected you on linkedIn...have been suffering from multiple sclerosis..got an inspiration from you...also want to start career as a content writer like you so that, I can divert my mind from that rare illness...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Police Brutality And The Story of the Girl in the Wheelchair

4th April, 2011

Cricket World Cup, 2019 and Pakistan.