Finally, I am a graduate!

Graduation is a great deal for everyone, and for me, it is even bigger. Recently, after a lot of effort and anxious nights, I graduated. I like saying this out loud I am a graduate now. At one point, it seemed to be a far-fetched dream and I was not sure whether I would be able to achieve it or not. Honestly, I never thought it would occur. It took courage, determination, patience, and faith to make this dream a reality, but now I can proudly say it was all worth it.


In 2010, after my surgery, I was bedridden for almost a year. My body was badly affected by the after-effects of spinal compression, and some of those symptoms continue to affect me. However, I lost the grip of my right hand. There was no nervous control whatsoever and I could not hold a pen in my hand. It affected my perseverance to continue my education. Whenever I would make up my mind to restart my studies, the biggest roadblock was not being able to hold a pen. I did not know any other way to distill my learning except for writing it down. It was always my go-to method as a student; I would write down notes to remember whatever I learned in school. Anyhow, almost four years passed in this dilemma. Then, I started taking chiropractic treatment from Dr. Mohsin. He changed the way I look that my disability. After a few sessions, he introduced me to a new manner to hold a pen in my hand without nervous control. I started holding a pen between my middle and ring finger. At first, it was different, but it worked. I continued practicing and eventually, I was able to write using my new grip.


It took me two years to complete my O and A levels. Without taking assistance from a writer, I managed to write all my answer sheets, thank God. I was never an excellent student so that reflected in my results as well but for me, it was everything that I had always dreamt of! Afterward, I took a hiatus. I had to find out a practical way to pursue further education. The traditional University-going method did not suit my lifestyle. It was difficult for me to manage a hectic routine due to my health and I was scared to settle in a University setting. Accessibility was one of the main reasons. Not just the accessibility of the institution, but also traveling. It was a daunting thought and I was not comfortable pursuing it. Even when I restarted my education, I gave up the scary science subjects because they made studying look so unpleasant. I had reached a point in my life where I understood that I was not a science student. Somehow, I had a better comprehension of who I was, and luckily, my parents were supportive of my decision too.


 

After a lot of research and thorough deliberation, I decided to go for Bachelor's in Arts from Punjab University as a private student. I had the liberty to study from home and it was just simpler. I chose this degree because it was a two-year program and I could choose the subjects. However, there were restrictions regarding the selection of the subjects, but it was still a convenient option. Although I was intrigued by the subjects and enjoyed studying them. For many people, this degree is a supplementary achievement over their ongoing educational endeavors. Even my sister and cousins have done BA with very little preparation. I have heard people saying that it's not even real education, but I beg to differ. For me, it was a life-changing experience.

The first part was easy and the examinations went smoothly too. However, for the second part, I had to face accessibility issues. I have shared a post regarding the same matter on social media as well. Anyhow, it was a very traumatizing experience not just because of the accessibility issue, but the difference in the environment. Previously, I had the most accommodating examination experience with British Council and comparatively, Punjab University was a shocker.


Now I look back at this journey with gratitude and hope in my heart. Being a graduate seemed impossible but perseverance pays off. Indeed Allah helps those who dare to pursue. I just want to emphasize the fact that courage and faith can do wonders. Whatever seems impossible today might be the reality of your life tomorrow; be positive and trust Him. Take a leap of faith and pray. He will put things in the right order (InshAllah).

P.S. A special thank you to my sister, Mahroo Ali, who constantly motivated me to pursue my education again. Although she used some pretty brutal methods to do it. Yet, she has a significant role in constantly pushing me to study. Thank you (there you go, I'm accepting your contribution publicly 🤭) 

Comments

  1. Congratulations!! I must say you are a brave girl and honestly hats off to you and your whole family. So proud of you. You are an inspiration for many. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I´m most delighted for you and proud of you as well, as must be all your beloved ones. A wonderful achievement by a girl who hasn´t learnt to give up! Keep going, keep chasing your dreams!

    Regards,
    Rawal Afzal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrts zahra. May Allah give you strength and preserverance to acheive more than you ever imgained.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th April, 2011

Moving on!

Cricket World Cup, 2019 and Pakistan.