Laughter is the best medicine and it's free


 
Comedy is the most difficult thing to do. It is very challenging to make people laugh especially in these times when everything is so grave and tensed. I have immense admiration for the people who can make other people laugh. It is an inbuilt talent and not everyone can master this craft. It takes years of practice and dedication to be able to bring a smile on anyone's face. However, the people who possess this skill are very sensitive and recondite in their approach towards life. They understand the realities of life and the precise details of the simple aspects of daily life. They are intelligent, skillful, and blessed. 
Some people are born comedians. They don't need to invest any efforts to make people laugh, it comes naturally to them. They don't have to showcase their skills on a platform such as television or movies. They practice their skill in real life. They make us laugh when it is very difficult to smile. We all have someone in our surroundings who is witty and when we talk to them, we feel comforted from being sober all the time. Life is very serious, we have things to do, to a list of achievements to accomplish, and so on but having someone who can take away all the strain for even a few ticks is a blessing. 
It's not easy to write comedy. I feel it is the most obscure genre, as I have already mentioned, it comes naturally. The artificial methods to write comedy often fail terribly. However, sometimes the performance of a good comedian makes the worst script into a good movie, that's the power of a comedian. 

Recently, I have noticed and acknowledged a new form of comedy, memes. It is a new format but I am a huge fan of the people who produce, think, and execute these memes. They are hilarious, relevant, and sometimes informative. I feel it is a combination of awareness, judgment, and art. Well, this format of comedy can make one laugh with just a picture. Not a movie, not a stand-up or an entire book, just one picture with some text. It's not easy, therefore, it is necessary to appreciate this form of art. 
The performers who master the skill to engage the viewers' are legends. Here are a few comedians who are worth mentioning and being honored for the times that they brought happiness in my life and possibly yours too.
Picture courtesy: The News
Image Courtesy: The News

Amanullah Khan, who passed away this year was a gem and a legend from Pakistan. His stand up comedy transformed the image of Pakistan throughout the world especially when he performed in India. His spontaneous sense of humor is amazing. I watched him perform live during a birthday party and luckily, I took in autograph which is still with me. Ever since I saw him perform live, I became a huge fan and loved watching his skits. May his soul rest in peace.
 
Image Courtesy: Biography.com

Laughter is the best medicine, if that is the case then Jim Carrey is the best doctor. He is so naturally talented that you cannot resist laughing while he is on screen. His quirks and dialogue delivery are excellent. He is truly a living legend and nobody would miss a chance to watch his movies over and over again because they never fail to entertain you and make you laugh. If you haven't already then please watch Liar Liar, The Mask, and Bruce Almighty. I hope to see him again on screen very soon.


Last but not least is Johnny Lever. If you have followed Bollywood in the 2000s, you'd know who he is. The way he presents himself on-screen is exquisite. His comic timing is one of the best that India has ever produced. He has acted in many movies but I do feel that his efforts are understated. His performance in Badshah is one of my favorites. 
In real life, I have my sister, Maryum Fatima, who's going to be a dietician very soon (InshAllah) but her comic presence in my life has helped me get through many tough times. Without her comic commentary of the events, movies, or any situation, it would have been very difficult to bear the intense seriousness of life. The best part about having a funny sister is that you can laugh over anything and anytime. Also, she's a superb mimic. You can imagine how awesome that sort of a readily available stand-up comedy is. Here's thanking God for her. 
P.S. she insisted on using this as her picture in the blog

Laughter is the best medicine and its free. Cherish the people who make you laugh.

Comments

  1. Ah´, good to see someone who thinks about this thing in the way that I do. I don´t feel like praising myself here but within my family and my friends, it is me who does this role. Sometimes, people give me a call so that I may cheer them up. My relatives wait in WhatsApp group for me to leave a funny comment. It´s the best medicine that I don´t only give others but also to myself. It´s a gift that I give myself everyday, for cheering up others automatically leads me to laughter.

    May Allah bless your sister Maryam for playing this role in your life; Aameen.

    Regards,
    Rawal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also like to credit all the new Netflix stand up comedians. They bring a fresh and new form of comedy on the platform.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great article! I love Jim Carey. He always keeps me laughing. I think sometimes laughter is the best way to get us through hard situations. It makes us feel better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th April, 2011

Moving on!

Cricket World Cup, 2019 and Pakistan.